SaharaReporters has learned exclusively that President Goodluck Jonathan’s motor convoy was yesterday involved in an accident in Paris as the Nigerian president was traveling with his aides to a meeting with the French President Francois Gerard Hollande. Our sources disclosed that the accident occurred 15 minutes away from the Elysee Palace, the venue of the official meeting with the French leader. “The car involved in the accident was the fifth car behind that of President Jonathan,” said a French police source.
Jamilu Waziri, a presidential liaison officer (PLO), was injured in the accident and had to be taken to a Paris hospital where he received treatment for a broken ankle. As a result of the accident, Mr. Waziri was unable to attend the meeting.
Our source said Mr. Waziri later flew with President Jonathan who is due to arrive in Abuja shortly. The wounded officer walked with aid of a pair of crutches.
A French official confirmed the accident to Saharareporters. The large size of the Nigerian delegation meant that Mr. Jonathan’s aides could not fit into the official vehicles provided by the French government. According to the French source, a car rented by the Nigerian embassy in Paris to convey some of the Nigerian delegates was involved in the accident. Asked who was liable for any damages that resulted from the accident, the source disclosed that French authorities “would not be liable for injuries or damages from the car crash.”
- Attacks On President Jonathan: Obasanjo becoming more confused – Presidency (vanguardngr.com)
- Jonathan meets British, French PMs (ejaife.wordpress.com)
- Why Nigerians think I’m slow – President Jonathan (vanguardngr.com)
- Nigerian leader praises Super Eagles (iol.co.za)
- Risk Management Report: How to Systematically Prevent Accidents (prweb.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Jonathan spends $60,000 to arrange CNN interview (sulejasky.wordpress.com)
- Health worker killings show north Nigeria dangers (sfgate.com)
- President Goodluck Jonathan’s Inspiring Facebook Messages on the Super Eagles (naijaspleen.wordpress.com)
- Nigeria Wildly Celebrates African Cup Soccer Victory (atlantablackstar.com)